St. John’s Church, built in 1787, is one of the oldest buildings in Calcutta and figured prominently in the city’s early history. This Church, built it is believed on the site of an old burial ground estimated to contain the remain of up to 60,000 people of all faiths. With the arrival of the first Bishop of Calcutta in1814, it becomes the Cathedral Church of a Diocese that stretched from Suez in the West to Australia in the east. Its building and grounds contain many historical records and monuments and Job Charnock’s Tomb is in the Churchyard.
The upkeep and maintenance of the Church and its grounds call for substantial expenditure, which cannot be met from the Church’s limited resources. It is necessary, therefore, to make an appeal for generous donations to individual, firms and business houses in Calcutta.
May we appeal to generosity and ask for a donation to enable us to preserve this piece of Calcutta’s history as it deserves to be maintained.
Any contribution will be most gratefully received and acknowledged.
REVD. PRADEEP KUMAR NANDA